Understanding Mental Health04/10/2018
According to researches, mental health pertains to social well-being, psychological as well as emotional standings. Mental health affects the way people think, act and feel. In addition to this, mental health has the ability to help people determine ways of handling stress, make choices and relate to other people.
Mental health is important in every stage of life: from childhood to adolescence, and to adulthood. For people who are experiencing mental health issues, there is a great chance that their behaviour, mood and thinking will be affected. There are different factors that usually contribute to mental health issues such as family history, life experiences that include abuse and trauma and biological factors that include brain chemistry and genes.
It is a fact that mental health problems are very common these days than before; however, help is available. People who are suffering from mental health issues have a great chance to get better and recover completely. For individuals who are experiencing mental health problems, it is important that they are familiar with the warning signs of having mental health issues.
If you have a sound mental health, it will help you to make meaningful contributions to your community, work productively, cope with stress and realize your full potential in life. In addition to this, it is important that you have a good understanding about effective ways of maintaining a positive mental health; such as developing your coping skills, getting enough hours of sleep, helping others, getting physically fit and active, staying positive, connecting with other people and most importantly getting professional advice and help from experts.
Mental Health Basics
Individuals who are emotionally and mentally healthy have the ability to control their behaviour and emotions. They also have the ability to handle life’s challenges, recover from serious setbacks, and build strong and healthy relationships with others. It is true that enhancing your mental and emotional health is a rewarding experience that you will love. Mental health can benefit all aspects of your life, such as adding enjoyment to your day-to-day activities, building resilience and boosting your mood. For people who are experiencing emotional health or mental health problems, it is important that they are aware of how to get rid of it in just a short period of time.
Emotional Health or Mental Health
Emotional or mental health usually refers to your overall psychological being. It also includes your ability to manage your emotions and feelings, build relationships, develop the way you look and feel about yourself and most importantly how you can deal with extreme difficulties. Mental health is not just about the absence of mental health issues and problems.
Being emotionally and mentally healthy is more than being free of psychological issues, anxiety and depression. The absence of emotional and mental health commonly refers to the presence of excellent characteristics. There are people who do not have negative emotions and feelings; but they still need to do things that will make them feel good and positive to help them get a hold on their emotional and mental health.
Individuals who are emotionally and mentally healthy have the following characteristics:
- High self-esteem and self-confidence
- They have the ability to maintain and build fulfilling relationships
- They have a balance between their play, work, activity, rest and a lot more
- They have the flexibility to know and learn new things and at the same time they can easily adapt to change
- They have a great sense of purpose and meaning in their relationships and activities
- They have the ability to easily and effectively deal with life challenges and stress and bounce back from adversity
- They have the ability to have fun as well as the zeal for living
- People who are emotionally and mentally healthy have a great sense of tranquility and contentment.
The positive characteristics of emotional and mental health will allow you to easily participate in all the latest happenings in your life by having strong relationships, meaningful activities and being productive every day. The positive characteristics of emotional and mental health will greatly help you to quickly cope with life stresses, trials and challenges.
Signs of Mental Health Problems
Not everybody is familiar with the signs of having emotional or mental health issues. For people who want to know and learn about the warning signs, just check this out:
- Inability to execute daily tasks such as getting to school or work and taking care of family and children
- Thinking of harming other people and self
- Believing things or hearing voices that are not real
- Experiencing mood swings that can cause major problems in relationships
- Fighting and yelling with friends and family
- Feeling unusually scared, worried, upset, angry, forgetful and confused
- Using drugs, drinking and smoking
- Feeling hopeless and helpless
- Having unexplained pains and aches
- Having no energy
- Pulling away from usual activities and people
- Sleeping and eating too little or too much
How to Maintain Good Mental Health
- Developing your coping skills
- Getting adequate sleep
- Helping other people
- Getting physically fit and active
- Staying positive
- Connecting with other people
- Getting professional guidance, advice and help when necessary.
It is a fact that emotional and mental health issues are common in different parts of the world. According to researches, many American adults experience mental health problems. In addition to this, young people also experience depression and some Americans live with serious mental problems.
Being mentally and emotionally healthy does not mean that you are not going to experience bad times or emotional problems. Most people go through change, losses and disappointments. These are considered normal parts of life; however, they can still cause stress, anxiety and sadness. The only difference is that people who are emotionally and mentally healthy have the ability to bounce back from stress, trauma and adversity. This type of ability is known as resilience.
Individuals who are mentally and emotionally healthy have the helpful tools that are intended for coping with difficult scenarios in life and at the same time maintain and build a positive outlook on life. These people remain creative, flexible and focused during the bad times of their lives. One of the best key factors of resilience is the ability to completely balance emotions and stress.
By doing this, you are assured that you can avoid getting stuck in a negative mood or suffering from anxiety and depression. Another important key factor is having an excellent support network. If you have trusted people that you can turn to during bad times and hardship, you can easily find support and encouragement that will boost your resilience during tough times.
Take Good Care of Yourself
For individuals who want to improve, strengthen and maintain their emotional and mental health, the first thing that they can do is to take good care of themselves. It is important to pay attention to your feelings and needs. Don’t let negative emotions and stress build up in your system since it can harm your overall health. You have to balance the things that you love to do and your daily activities.
If you take good care of yourself, you can be sure that you are prepared to deal with trials and challenges that might come into your life. Taking good care of yourself usually includes pursuing the activities that release endorphins within your body. According to researchers, endorphins are naturally released within your body when you do the following:
- Positively impact others. It is a fact that being valued for all the things that you do and being useful to other people can easily build self-confidence and self-esteem. If you really want to build your self- confidence and self-esteem, do certain things that can greatly impact other people in a nice and meaningful way.
- Practice self-discipline. It is true that self-control can lead to a sense of hopefulness and at the same time, it can greatly help you to easily overcome your negative thoughts, helplessness and despair. By practicing self-discipline, you can be sure that you can easily become emotionally and mentally healthy.
- Enjoy the beauty of art and nature. By simply walking in your garden, you can reduce your stress and lower the level of your blood pressure. Apart from this, sitting on a beach, viewing architecture, hiking and strolling through art galleries and parks can also lower your blood pressure and reduce stress.
- Manage your level of stress. Stress takes a heavy toll on people’s emotional and mental health. This is one of the reasons why you need to manage and control your stress. It is a fact that not all stressors can be easily prevented; however, strategies for stress management will greatly help you to bring things into balance.
- Limit unhealthy habits. Too much worrying is considered one of the unhealthy emotional and mental habits of most people. It is important to avoid becoming too absorbed by repetitive mental habits. Moreover, negative thoughts can suck up your time and drain your energy. It can also trigger your feelings of depression, fear and anxiety.
In order to become emotionally and mentally healthy, it is important that you have a good understanding of the helpful and effective strategies for taking good care of yourself. Everyone is different and not all things will be beneficial to everybody. There are some individuals who prefer to relax while some want to have more activities to enjoy and explore.
When to See a Professional
If you already made efforts to enhance your emotional and mental health, but still don’t feel good, it is the perfect time to seek professional help. Since most people are socially attuned, input from a reliable, knowledgeable and competent caring professional can motivate you to do things that will help you regain your emotional and mental health. Here, you will discover the red flag behaviours and feelings that require immediate attention. Check this out:
- Thoughts of suicide and death
- Self-destructive and negative thoughts and fears that you can’t immediately control
- Using alcohol, drugs, food and nicotine to cope during hardships and difficult situations
- Concentration problems that can interfere with your home and work life
- Feeling helpless, hopeless and down throughout the day
- Inability to have enough sleep
If you notice that you have these symptoms, the best thing that you can do is to consult a professional psychiatrist or emotional health professional. There is a wide variety of emotional health specialists and professionals who will greatly help you to easily get rid of your emotional and mental health issues.
It is very important that you choose the elite mental health specialist to make sure that you can come up with the best results. It is a fact that selecting the superb emotional health professional is not an easy task to do since it requires intensive research, time, commitment and dedication to obtain great results but it will be well worth it.
Emotional and mental health issues and problems have corresponding solutions. It should be treated ahead of time to keep it from getting worse. If you have loved ones who are experiencing emotional and mental health problems, it is highly recommended to immediately seek professional help from mental health specialists and psychiatrists. They are the ones who can provide them with appropriate and effective therapy and medication that will help them to easily regain their normal life. However, don’t forget to try some of the helpful strategies and techniques to control emotional and mental health issues.
Seeking professional help from experts as soon as possible can help patients to easily recover from their situations. It is true that emotional and mental health problems are serious health conditions that need proper attention and medication. If their condition is not properly attended, there is a great chance that symptoms will get worse and treating them will require a long duration of time. If you want to have a better mind, better life and better living, this is the best time for you to take good care of your emotional and mental health. Being emotionally and mentally healthy will greatly help you to execute your daily activities perfectly and effectively.